There are stereotypes about every nationality that one can encounter every-now-and-then … the British are no exception! This post is about the things people have asked me (or told me about as they are convinced it is true) and the perceptions of what the British, and Britain, are like – it can get awkward!
1. Brits have bad teeth … (some do, but not all)
2. Beer is served warm … (never drank a warm beer in my life)
3. British women are hairy and do not shave their underarms or legs … (I cannot speak for all women, but this is not true of me – unless I cannot be bothered)
4. The only accents are Cockney or BBC announcer … (there are so many reginal accents beyond these two)
5. We have all met the Queen … (I have never met her Maj)
6. British = Londoner … (British means from all areas of Britain)
7. It rains constantly … (it rains a fair bit, yes)
Now, I am not saying that there is not a Brit with bad teeth, hairy legs, drinking a warm beer whilst chatting with the Queen in a Cockney accent under an umbrella in London, but we are not all like that, I can assure you!
Have you heard of any others or been asked if something is true? What myths/misconceptions have you encountered about where you are from?