Since I have moved to Ohio I have enjoyed doing some research about my new home, which has included finding out some unusual facts. If you have any more that you know of, or have anything weird and wonderful about where you live, please share in a comment as I would love to read them.
Six Weird, Wacky & Wonderful Facts
1. It is illegal, in the state of Ohio, to get a fish drunk – I have no plans on doing this, but will admit to being slightly curious as to how you would go about doing that. Or why.
2. Ohio is home to a world record holding basket. Yes, you read that right, a basket. Dresden has the world’s largest apple basket.
3. The name Ohio comes from the Iroquois Indian for ‘Lake Erie’s on fire again’.
4. In McDonald, Ohio it is illegal to parade your duck down Ohio Avenue – there goes my Monday night activity, best go for a drink with my trout … oh, no … wait.
5. In 1869, chewing gum was patented by Amos Tyler and then W.F. Semple – maybe I could patent drinking tea and make my fortune … no? Ok.
6. In Paulding, Ohio in order to quiet a dog, a policeman may bite it – I can see that working really well … really?
I hope you enjoyed reading these as much as I enjoyed researching them.